Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving

Turkey, pumpkin pie, cranberry relish, stuffing, mashed potatoes, fruit salad, more pumpkin pie, apple cider, the "kids table," even MORE pumpkin pie. Sound familiar? I thought so.

This was my first family holiday that I missed on this exchange. It was a little weird, but I wasn't feeling all depressed like some of then other exchangers said they were (sorry mom!) I really wanted pumpkin pie so i decided to make it myself. Easier said than done, here! My host parents and I went to the biggest grocery store and asked around for some pumpkins. They didn't have any canned, but they did have some in the produce section. When we got there, they didn't look like they could be baked into a pie. But, we decided to give it a go. Six and 1/2 hours, 5 pans, and 17 google searches later, the pie was finished! Did we eat it immediately? No. The sad part of this story is that since it took so long, it was 12:30am by the end and no one wanted pie. The GOOD news is that I took a bunch of pictures! Take a look :)

First we have the ingredients I started with
'Nuff said.
Yes, my pie was made using viking milk and a hammer

Cooking the pumpkin!
Yummmmm ;)
Finally cooked and peeled
Almost ready to eat...Can you tell? :)
"Look tough, like you just made a pie"
    

1 comment:

  1. Yum, Yum. Looks like real pumpkin pie! I can almost smell the spices.

    ReplyDelete