Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Longest blog post ever. Read fast to finish by the end of next month!

Hello!!!!!!!! I haven't posted in over a month and a lot has happened. Here's a quick summary, in list form, in case you don't want to read this whole thing.

1. Got a new bus card that's good until June 25, the day my parents come to Norway. Now everyday when I take the bus to school I see a little countdown of how many days left in my exchange. 88 :(

2. Volleyball tournament! We lost all our games, but that's not important, right?

3. Taylor Swift concert in Oslo with my new host sister, Andrea, and host cousin, Mari.

4. World Ski Championships in Oslo with all the exchange students. We saw the ski jumping.

5. I've switched host families for the 3rd and final time! Everyone asks why we have to change, and I don't really know. It's just a Rotary rule.

6. It's starting to become spring (or so I thought) but we had a big snowstorm a couple days ago and now we're leaving March and entering April with a good foot of snow still on the ground. This makes over 6 consecutive months with snow!

And now time for the slightly extended, marginally more descriptive versions of all those things listed above. And pictures!

 Volleyball!

We had two teams go to the tournament. It was in Ålesund, which is about 6 hours south of Trondheim. We took a bus which was a little boring but we tried to make a video for me to post on here! I'll have to edit it and upload it so it'll probably be on this blog in my next post...which could mean about 3 weeks, haha. We stayed in the Blindheim senter which is a rec center in Ålesund. There were about 10 teams staying there, I think. Also, I know an exchange student from Australia who is living in Ålesund right now so he came to one of the games and learned our cheers.




Go Reima!

Taylor Swift concert!

On march 9, my host sister, host cousin, and host dad went to Oslo (capital of Norway) to see Taylor Swift. It was really fun and was sold out. Waiting in line for an hour in the freezing cold wasn't so fun tho! Partway through her show, Taylor walked through the crowd and Andrea (host sister) went to go meet her. We both got to touch her hand! Yayyyyy haha.





 World Ski Championships!

It's always fun to get together with the other exchange students and hang out, and the Oslo weekend didn't disappoint!  We stayed just outside of the city in a sort of youth hostel-ish thing and went on tours of the viking museum, a ship museum, and a museum of something that I don't remember because I was too focused on the large pile of dried fish in the middle of the floor. Yum, Norwegian food! On Saturday I think it was, we went to the big ski jump to watch the competition. Norway was edged out by Austria but they still took 2nd place. As for the good ol' USA? We didn't even have a team there! It was a good chance to pretend to actually be Norwegian and dress up with lots of red and blue and flags and paint our faces red and blue and with flags, etc. See for yourself!
Nina (australia), me, Victoria (argentina)

The helmet was a little big...thus I have no eyes in this pic





 
Francisco (equador)

New Host Family!

I've now moved to my 3rd and final family! I have 2 little sisters now; Nora is turning 10 next week and Andrea is 14. In Norway when you turn 14 you have your Confirmation in the spring and you get a Bunad, or traditional Norwegian costume. Andrea just got hers recently and put it on right away.



Coming Soon!

Next up is Easter break which is a week long like our spring break is. Then the day my friends go back to school, I leave for EuroTour with the other exchange students! Two weeks, six countries, and no school? Yes please!

For anyone who was wondering why I temporarily changed my name from Jessica JohansOn to Jessica JohansEn on Facebook, it was just because that's how they usually spell it in Norway. JohansOn is a little more Swedish. But I'm back to my real name now; I just like it more.

And just for the record, I know I said I was going to update more often but that's really not going to happen. It's just not. But hey, absence makes the heart grow fonder, right? You'll all LOVE me by the time I get back!

Ha det bra!
-Jessica JohansOn  ;)

1 comment: